Independence Community Park
New Features in Current Project Improvements:
- renovated garden center
- December 2017 - Bid issued
- February 2018 - Notice to Proceed issued to Percy J. Matherne Contractor, Inc.
- March 2018 - Construction underway
- May 2018 - Buildings metal roof has been removed, addition slab has been poured, addition framing complete, interior demolition complete, wall and framing underway
Estimated Budget for Current Improvements: $667,916
Estimated Completion for Current Improvements: September 2018
Phase one of the expansion served as the “front gate” for the Botanical Gardens from the East Baton Rouge Parish Main Library and BREC’s Independence Café. The butterfly and parterre garden feature a formal contemporary style that will complement the architecture of the library and café while expanding the formal geometry of the rose garden. The rich materials, furnishings, lighting and attention to detail help set the tone for subsequent garden phases.
The playground replaced in this phase, built in the late 1970’s, was the first of its kind featuring universal and inclusive play features. The renovation features amenities including a new 2 to 12-year old playground, outdoor fitness equipment, a large pavilion for rentals, two smaller picnic pavilions, flag pole, new picnic areas and other site furnishings. The new design increases the open space for the area allowing for more recreational opportunities. BREC is currently in the fundraising phase for another playground at Independence Park that will include inclusive features and will be installed near the tennis center and Liberty Lagoon waterpark.
New Features in this Phase of Improvements:
- new play area
- new butterfly and parterre garden
- new lawn garden
- new library walkways
- new granite millstone fountain
- new twelve garden plots
- new garden promenade
- new garden and library walkways
- new garden entry arbor
- new 2-12 year old playground
- new outdoor fitness equipment
- new large pavilion
- new picnic pavilions (2)
- new picnic areas
- November 2016 - Groundbreaking held for phase one of improvements
- March 2017 - Drainage installed. Sidewalks completed. Playground has been installed. Pavilions are going up.
- June 2017 - Expansion of Botanic Garden, new picnic area & playground, and added fitness station substantially complete
- August 2017 - Finalizing plant selection for Botanic Garden.
- October 2017 - Planting scheduled to begin Nov 30
- November 2017 - Planting underway
- February 2018 - Grand opening scheduled for May
- March 2018 - Grand opening prep and signage
Estimated Budget for Improvements: $1 million
Compeltion of Improvements: May 2018